Pilgrim volunteers can be found throughout the community. We strive to match individuals with opportunities that fit their interests, skills, and availability. To learn more, contact the church office (firstname.lastname@example.org) and ask for a shared ministry form. Use it to let us know your contact information and areas of interest. Then, when an opportunity is available, we’ll contact you and you can let us know if you are available.
- Cook and serve at the Damiano soup kitchen the fourth Monday of every month. Food preparation begins at 8:30 and serving begins at 11:30.
- Deliver meals-on-wheels in the neighborhood near the church. Mondays-Fridays, 10:30-noon. Most volunteers serve on a designated day each week.
- Cook and serve homemade meals to groups in the community such as phone bank volunteers and Monday meals sponsored by United Campus Ministry. Occasionally, often 3-4 times during a calendar year.
- Assist families with the physical move from CHUM’s family shelter into more permanent housing. As needed. Usually on a Saturday.
- Read to children in a classroom at Myers Wilkins Elementary School.
- Distribute weekend food packages to go home with children from Myers Wilkins Elementary School.
- Travel to Guatemala to build homes and support the education of children through Common Hope, based in St. Paul, Minnesota. Next trip in June 2015. Cost approximately $1800 for food, lodging and airfare. Participation in group fund-raising for Common Hope.
- Provide cookies for the county jail Christmas party
- Provide Christmas gifts for children recommended by case workers
- Participate in and support events sponsored by Pilgrim to benefit the larger Duluth community:
- Hogwarts Party the last Sunday in October;
- Book Sale the first Saturday in June
- Occasional concerts to benefit scholarships or community needs
Agencies or organizations where Pilgrims volunteer may have set requirements or expectations for volunteers. Pilgrim volunteers donate time and professional skills for programs within the church. Donated time and service are welcome gifts that strengthen our congregation’s life and our bonds with the larger community:
- Building maintenance
- Graphic arts
- Meal preparation
- Child care
- Technological expertise
New volunteers will work alongside experienced Pilgrim volunteers. Some volunteer opportunties may require training or screening.